My mom has been in the kitchen baking holiday treats since Thanksgiving! Today I went over to visit and once again, I found her in the kitchen whipping up a delicious treat. She was trying out a new recipe for a "snack mix" so I decided to help out... as official taste tester. Popcorn, Chex cereal, pretzels, peanuts, chocolate, and sprinkles all come together in this delightful, salty and sweet, crunchy, chocolate-y, and a super festive holiday treat.
Santa's Snack Mix is a really easy recipe that's actually pretty fun to make too! This would be a great food project to do with kids during the holidays...
I'm definitely going to wrap up some of this yummy Santa's Snack Mix in cute bags and give it away as gifts to friends and co-workers! It's a great change from the traditional Christmas cookie
Santa's Snack Mix
8-10 cups popped popcorn
2-3 cups holiday shaped pretzels
2 cups Chex cereal
1 cup red and green holiday sprinkles
2 cup peanuts
3/4 cup corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 package Dove dark chocolate candies
1 package M&M's Holiday Baking Mini's
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine the combine the popcorn, pretzels, cereal, and peanuts. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter, vanilla, sugar, and corn syrup over low heat until melted and smooth, stirring constantly.
4. Pour butter mixture over the ingredients in the bowl. Toss until all covered.
5. Spread the popcorn mix on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, stir. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the holiday sprinkles.
6. Place Dove chocolates in a small, microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until chocolate is melted and smooth. Drizzle melted chocolate over popcorn mix. Sprinkle with the remaining holiday sprinkles and M&M Baking Mini's.
7. Let cool approximately 10-20 minutes. Once cooled, break into chunks.
8. Store in an air-tight container for up to 7 days.
This recipe makes about two baking trays worth of mix! If you don't need that much, just half or quarter the recipe.
YUM!!! This stuff is addictive... great for the chocolate lover in your life (like me).
Happy Holiday Baking!