With that said, this is my 3rd time doing the Master Cleanse. I did the cleanse two times last year, and had no bad experiences to speak of. Just the opposite, the cleanses provided me with not only the opportunity to jump start my diets, but I actually find clarity, improved sleep patterns, and my overall well-being improved during the cleansing period.
If you are interested in this cleanse, I highly recommend the book: "Lose Weight, Have More Energy, and Be Happier in 10 Days: Take Charge of Your Health with the Master Cleanse" by Peter Glickman. I don't recommend you start this cleanse without reading this book first.
What you need:
- The book: "Lose Weight, Have More Energy, and Be Happier in 10 Days: Take Charge of Your Health with the Master Cleanse" by Peter Glickman
- 30 large lemons or 60 limes or small lemons, or some combination of all those.
- At least 64 fluid ounces organic Grade B maple syrup
- Sea salt (not "iodized" or "iodine added")
- Cayenne Pepper (not pills)
- Herbal laxative tea
- Peppermint tea
- The night before and every night of the cleanse, drink one cup of herbal laxative tea before bed.
- In the morning, before drinking any lemonade, each day of the cleanse, drink 32 ounces of purified water with two teaspoons of sea salt
- During each day of the cleanse, drink 6 to 12 ounces of "lemonade" (2 tablespoons of fresh-squeezed lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of syrup, 1/10 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and 8 ounces of purified water)
- You can drink as much herbal mint tea and/or water as you want. (yay!)
- Do not eat anything!!! The only exception is prescribed medicine.
The cleanse should be done for at least 10 days. It will be very tempting to quit. But, stay strong. Lots of people have made it through the cleanse and you will too!
When breaking the cleanse, you should slowly drink freshly squeezed orange juice for an entire day. The second day of breaking the cleanse, you should start the day with orange juice, and slowly start to transition to solid foods, such as vegetable soup. There is a lot more guidance in the book, so if you do this cleanse, read it.
I started the cleanse 10 days ago and I am still going strong. I have had good and bad days. Some days, I feel really hungry and tired. Other days, I feel strong and clear-headed. The worst part to me is the salt water flush in the morning. It is really hard to get down 32 ounces of salt water. And, there are almost immediate eliminations right after the salt water flush. I usually can't leave my apartment for an hour after I do the flush (as I am glued to the toilet). So, plan your days accordingly. The first couple days, I also suffered from headaches, presumably from caffeine withdrawals. They did go away.
Some of the benefits include weight loss (obviously), a sense of clarity and lightness, and cleansing your body of toxins. When I started the cleanse, I was suffering from hemorrhoids. They disappeared during the cleanse. It's amazing. I feel so much better. YAY!
Each cleanse has been a different journey for me. I believe the experience is unique to each person. It's a spiritual, physical, and mental journey.
Best of luck to you if you should choose this journey.