I was craving chicken tortilla soup, and I have never made it, so I thought it would try something new and fun! This recipe is healthy and delicious, so enjoy.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Adapted from a recipe found on sparkrecipes.com
- 3 raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt added tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion (I sliced in half so I can easily remove from soup since I don't like onions. You can chop and leave in if you like onions)
- 2 TBSP minced garlic
- 2 cups water
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- Corn tortillas if you want to make some for topping
- Combine all the ingredients (except the corn and black beans) in a large slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low 6-8 for hours.
- When there is an hour left on the slow cooker, add frozen corn and rinsed black beans.
- When cooking is complete, remove chicken from soup and shred.
- Return to soup and stir.
- With 15 minutes to go, I sliced up some corn tortillas into strips.
- Put some olive oil on a plate and rub each strip in the oil. Cook in the oven at 325 degrees Farenheit for 10-15 minutes (until crispy).
- Top your soup with the tortilla chips, lowfat sour cream, or any other toppings that you desire!
Hope you enjoy!